You can setup as many product categories for your eCommerce site as you need. This includes nested categories, so you can organize all of your products as you see fit.
Managing Product Categories
To add new categories, click on Products > Product Categories > View Categories and click on the Create Category button
Enter the category’s name, description and set the meta data for it on the Name tab.
When managing categories, you can set the following options under the Configuration tab:
- Enable – Enable or disable this category. If you have products that have been assigned to this category, we suggest disabling it instead of deleting it, so that products are not orphaned without categories. You can always rename this category and set its parent.
- Sort Order – Numeric value for sorting it among other categories
- Parent Category – If you want to nest this category under another one, select one here
- Page Template – If you have custom template to use for this page, you can select it here
- Category Image – Upload a photo image for this eCommerce category
- Banner Page Image – If you want to have a header or banner image on the product category’s page, you can set one here.
Assigning Categories to Products
To assign categories to any product, you can do that through Products > Manage Products > View Products. Select any product checkbox on the left hand side, and in the bottom dropdown where it states Mark Checked As, you can select Add To Category and a dropdown field will allow you to search for tags that you have added in your system. Alternatively, select Remove from Category and you can remove the checked product from that particular category.
You can also set categories in the Update Product page, under Categories tab > Categories > Assign Product Categories